- BIRNIE, a parish, in the county of Elgin, 3 miles (S.) from Elgin; containing 407 inhabitants. This place is said by some to have been the site of the first cathedral of the diocese of Moray; and it is probable that Simeon de Tonei, one of the bishops, was buried here, in 1184. The parish is nearly of an oblong figure, extending about seven miles in length, and one and a half in mean breadth, and contains nearly 8000 acres, of which about 2000 are under tillage, 304 under wood, and the remainder waste. It is separated from the parish of Knockando, on the south, by the junction of the parishes of Dallas and Rothes, and is bounded on all the other sides by the parish of Elgin. It lies on the north side of the high ground which rises between the Spey and the flat of Moray. The surface is irregular and abrupt, is marked with several ravines and high hills covered with heath, and has in general a bleak and rugged appearance; it is also intersected with the three rivulets, Lennock, Barden, and Rashcrook, which flow into the Lossie, a stream containing abundance of common trout. The arable soil is generally of a gravelly or sandy kind, occasionally clayey, and by the sides of the Lossie and of the rivulets it is loamy; other plots are of a mossy or moory nature. All kinds of grain are produced, as well as potatoes and turnips, with a small quantity of flax. The cattle, which have been lately much improved, are usually a cross between the low-country cows of Moray and West Highland bulls; the sheep are chiefly Cheviots, and the horses, though small, are active, and well adapted for ploughing the light shallow land of which the parish mainly consists. The improved system of agriculture is followed, and very considerable advances have recently been made. The rateable annual value of the parish is £1249. The chief rocks in the district are sandstone and gneiss, with a small proportion of slate. The ecclesiastical affairs are directed by the presbytery of Elgin and synod of Moray; the patronage belongs to the Earl of Moray, and the minister has a stipend of £156. 8. 4., a portion of which is received from the exchequer, with a manse, and a glebe of about eight acres of good land. The church is a very ancient structure, repaired in 1817, with accommodation for 250 persons, and contains a fine Saxon arch, separating the choir from the body of the edifice; also a stone baptistery, and an old bell composed of silver and copper, of an oblong figure, which tradition asserts to have been made at Rome, and consecrated by the pope. There is a parochial school, the master of which has a salary of £26, with a house and garden, and about £4 fees; and the poor have the benefit of a bequest producing about £3 per annum. About a mile east from the church, on the side of the road, is a stone called the "Bible Stone," having the figure of a book distinctly engraven on it; and in the corner of a field once called Castlehill, the foundations of what is supposed to have been the ancient episcopal palace were dug up about half a century ago.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Birnie — Island (en) Carte de Birnie. Géographie Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Birnie — Birnie, Reich u. Hauptstadt desselben. im Innern NAfrikas, so v.w. Bornu … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
birnie — birnie, birny variant of byrnie, Obs., cuirass … Useful english dictionary
Birnie — Vorlage:Infobox Insel/Wartung/Höhe fehlt Birnie Karte von Birnie Gewässer Pazifischer Ozean … Deutsch Wikipedia
Birnie — This name is of Scottish locational origin from a place thus called in the former county of Morays (now part of the Grampian region). Recorded in the 13th century as Brennath, the name is believed to derive from the Gaelic broanach meaning a damp … Surnames reference
Birnie — Admin ASC 2 Code Orig. name Birnie Country and Admin Code KI.03.BI KI … World countries Adminstrative division ASC I-II
Birnie — /ˈbɜni/ (say bernee) noun Tessa Daphne, born 1934, Australian pianist, born in NZ … Australian English dictionary
Birnie Island — is a small, uninhabited coral island, 20 hectares in area, part of the Phoenix Island group, which forms a possession of the Republic of Kiribati. It is located about 100 km SE of Kanton Island and 90 km WNW of Rawaki Island, formerly known as… … Wikipedia
Birnie Loch — Geographische Lage Schottland Daten … Deutsch Wikipedia
Birnie Kirk — is a Church of Scotland church situated 4 km south of Elgin, in Moray, northeast Scotland. The church was built c. 1140 and became the first cathedral of the Bishop of Moray. It remained the cathedral church until 1184 when Bishop Simon de Tosny… … Wikipedia